OPPO Watch – watch out for this!
Smartwatches have graduated from being a luxury to an essential accessory to improve the quality of life. It has become a tool for life data and analytics, plus other important matters that enhance consumer lifestyle.
Last month, OPPO Philippines announced the availability of OPPO Watch, a smartwatch powered by OPPO’s latest smart ecosystem technology, Google’s Wear OS and Watch VOOC Flash Charging System.
I received this 41mm variant and here’s everything you need to know about it.
OPPO Watch Specifications:
- Size: 41.45×36.37×11.4mm (13mm including heart rate sensor)
- Frame: Aluminum Alloy
- Strap: Flurorubber
- Bottom Case Build: Polycarbonate
- Weight: 30.1g (without straps)
- Display: Rigid AMOLED Display
- Display Size: 1.6″
- Resolution: 320 x 360
- Battery Capacity: 300mAh / 289 (Rated Value)
- Charging: Magnetic Charging
- Theoretical Battery Life (smart mode): Up to 24 hours
- Theoretical Battery Life (Power Saver Mode): Up to 14 days
- Flash Charging: Watch VOOC Flash Charging
- Processor: Qualcommm Snadragon Wear 3100 and Ambiq Micro Apollo3 Wireless SoC
- OS: Wear OS by Google
- Capacity: 1GB RAM / 8GB Internal Storage
- Wifi: WLAN 2.4G
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2, LE
- Sensors: Tri-axial acceleration sensor/Gyroscope sensor/Geomagnetic sensor/Barometric sensor/Optical heartbeat sensor/Capacitance sensor/Ambient light sensor
- Workout Modes: Fitness Run/5-Min Workouts/Fat Burn Run/Outdoor Walk/Outdoor Cycling/Swimming
- Fitness Functions: Heart rate monitoring/Sleep monitoring/Get Up Reminder/Guided breathing exercises
- Water Resistance: 3ATM
- NFC: Yes
- Voice Assistant: Google Assistant
- App: Wear OS by Google and HeyTab Health App
Do I really need this?
Today, data is important to assess or evaluate something. Data-hungry consumers have one thing in mind – what can I do with these data about myself? I’ve been a smartwatch user for many years now. We have also covered smartwatch reviews on our website, and the number one reason why we’re excited to review one is the ability to collect and view our own data. I, for one, use these data to either improve or continue doing something that might be beneficial to me.
Imagine the breadth and depth of data collection you can get from this OPPO Watch! As your exercise buddy, its robust number of sensors and 50-meter water resistance are enough ways to gather viable data. OPPO has this 5-minute workout routine that help users exercise without stressing out. Heart rate monitoring is also on point with its 4 optical sensors. I don’t want to get you through all the features, but believe me when I say that OPPO has really put everything you need on a smartwatch on this device.
Again, if you’re hungry for data, your goto app is HeyTap Health. Everything is synched to this app, which you easily view and interpret.
Does it really have to cost PhP12,990!
The international SRP of the OPPO Watch is around $300. Since Google Wear OS is part of the Google Mobile Services licenses, you have to consider that manufacturers like OPPO need to pay Google a fee per every time sold. We are not privy with the specific price but sources say that it ranges from $2.50 to $50 per every unit sold.
According to The Verge, “EU countries are divided into three tiers, with the highest fees coming in the UK, Sweden, Germany, Norway, and the Netherlands. In those countries, a device with a pixel density higher than 500 ppi would have to pay a $40 fee to license Google’s suite of apps, according to pricing documents. 400 to 500ppi devices would pay a $20 fee, while devices under 400 ppi would pay only $10. In some countries, for lower-end phones, the fee can be as little as $2.50 per device.”
To answer the question – “Does it really have to cost PhP12,990”, the answer is “No”. It should be more expensive than PhP12,990. Considering that OPPO’s requirement to include GMS licensing fee, taxes and shipping costs, you’re technically getting this at a bargain price.
Google Wear is one of the best watch OS’ available out there. Its compatibility with Google Play, Google Play, automation and Google Fit makes it the best fit – pun intended – if you’re a huge fan of the Google ecosystem. Take it out of the box and use it to your heart’s content!
Price and Availability
The 41mm variant of OPPO Watch will be available for PhP12,990 in all OPPO concept and online stores on September 11. OPPO Philippines also partnered with Lazada for an exclusive e-commerce promo. Be sure to check out OPPO’s official website at www.oppo.com/ph or its official Facebook page at OPPO Philippines for more information.
Catch our full review! It looks like we need to get really sweaty to test this further!