DJI has just unveiled three new devices that focus on user-friendly features that help filmmakers and content creators to operate them easily. These new products include the DJI RS 3, RS 3 Pro, and the DJI Transmission.
These three devices feature a new automated axis lock system, 3rd-Gen RS stabilization, and one-tap calibration.
“The needs and requirements of the content community are extremely important to us. Ever since the introduction of the first Ronin back in 2014, we’ve continually gained feedback from industry professionals on how we can enhance our products to cater to their evolving needs. Implementing this feedback, we’ve optimized the design, stabilization, and gimbal control to create next-generation, highly effective, and reliable stabilizers designed for unparalleled efficiency. Furthermore, we don’t just stop at stabilization. We understand the importance of video transmission and the various pain points faced in large, complex venues. Whether it’s dealing with range, lagging images, or lost signals, the new DJI Transmission addresses these issues and offers an incredible 20,000-foot on-ground transmission distance.”
Paul Pan, DJI Senior Product Line Manager
DJI RS 3
Every Second Counts:
- Incorporates a range of new features to get filmmakers up and running as quickly as possible. A redesigned axes-locking system means that the process is now automated.
- Tapping the power button once will send the device into sleep mode, which makes powering on the device, stowing it away, and relocating much faster.
- No need for repetitive balancing with position memory via quick-release plates, enabling fast mounting with the perfect balance of the payload.
- The addition of a Bluetooth Shutter Button supports automatic connection without the need to connect a camera control cable.
Lightweight Body, Heavyweight Stabilization:
- Weighing in at just under 1.3kg (2.8 lbs), RS 3 can easily be held in one hand, while its just under 3kg (6.6lbs) tested payload capacity is more than enough to support the majority of mainstream devices.
Parameter Setting at The Touch of a Screen:
- Easier to configure with a brand-new 1.8-inch OLED full-color touchscreen, an increase of 80% surface area when compared to the previous RSC 2.
- A brand-new battery grip providing up to 12 hours of battery life
- Features a quick-release structure and supports PD fast charging at 18 watts. The battery can be charged independently or even during use, allowing users to operate non-stop.
DJI RS 3 Pro
For Those Demanding Even More:
- RS 3 Pro is an even more professional version offering a full suite of features as a versatile camera platform.
- Arms constructed from one uncut piece of carbon fiber – just like Ronin 2 – makes RS 3 Pro lighter and stronger than the jointed carbon fiber material used on previous stabilizers.
- Extended to allow for more balancing space for commonly used professional cameras like the Sony FX6, Canon C70, and RED Komodo, and the structure has been optimized to keep its weight at 1.5kg (3.3lbs) with an impressive 4.5kg (10lbs) tested payload capability.
- The stabilizer also shares the automated axis locks, Bluetooth Shutter Button, 1.8-inch OLED touchscreen, and gimbal mode switch of RS 3.
Manual Lenses, No Problem:
- Carries Ronin 4D’s advanced LiDAR focusing technology to create the new DJI LiDAR Range Finder (RS), capable of projecting 43,200 ranging points within a 14-meter indoor area.
- Next-generation focus motor provides torque three times stronger with one-step mounting, enabling autofocus on manual lenses with no need for repetitive calibration.
- LiDAR Range Finder carries a DJI-developed chip identical to the one used in Ronin 4D and a built-in 30mm camera, boosting the computing power of ActiveTrack by more than 60 times, creating ActiveTrack Pro.
Evolving Product Ecosystem:
- With its dual RSA/NATO port and battery port, RS 3 Pro can connect to various accessories such as the new Briefcase Handle, Twist Grip Dual Handle, and Tethered Control Handle, opening up a variety of shooting options.
- The DJI RS SDK protocol enables third-party manufacturers and individual developers to create customized shooting solutions for RS 3 Pro to build an even richer ecosystem with more developers.
Going the Distance With DJI Transmission:
- DJI’s first independent wireless video solution. Developed on the heels of Ronin 4D’s advanced video transmission technology, this system combines reception, monitoring, control, and recording into one, taking your filmmaking experience to a whole new level.
- O3 Pro transmission technology enables the transmission system to offer an incredible 20,000-foot on-ground transmission distance with end-to-end ultra-low latency, a massive upgrade from traditional Wi-Fi transmission.
- Video is transmitted in 1080p/60fps and provides live audio monitoring at 16-bit 48 kHz, offering crews an excellent remote visual and audio monitoring experience.
- DFS band has been added on top of the traditional 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz settings, offering up to 23 channel options that provide crews with more compliant and interference-free transmission channels.
- Built-in frequency sweeper automatically scans the current electromagnetic environment for the best wireless channel, instantly switching channels when needed
- DJI’s 7-inch, 1500-nit High-Bright Remote Monitor includes an integrated receiver, eliminating the need for video cables running into a monitor.
- In Control mode, monitoring can be carried out from two receivers at the same time, while the gimbal and camera can also be controlled remotely.
- DJI Transmission can work simultaneously with ten or more transmitters sending signals to transmit to ten devices, creating a completely synchronized experience that is hard to achieve with the traditional transmission.
It’s All Under Control:
- Isn’t just a powerful video transmission tool; it’s also a comprehensive control system.
- When used with RS 3 Pro, it can work as a gimbal and camera controller, unlocking more functions and fully integrating the ground-based Ronin ecosystem.
- The High-Bright Remote Monitor has a built-in gyroscopic sensor that acts as a standalone motion controller for RS 3 Pro. And when combined with the Ronin 4D Hand Grips, the operator of a RS 3 Pro stabilizer can control the gimbal, focus, exposure, and start/stop a recording with both hands.
- Expanding on the Ronin ecosystem, DJI Transmission works seamlessly with DJI Master Wheel and Force Pro, giving operators a variety of ways to control camera movement in whatever way the shot demands.
Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec, Zenmuse X9 Extension Cable & L-Mount Alliance
DJI PRO continues to collaborate with industry professionals while enhancing our products to cater to their evolving needs. These enhancements include the following:
- As of August this year, Ronin 4D will support the Apple ProRes 4444 XQ codec, which is the highest-quality version of Apple ProRes for 4:4:4:4 image sources.
- For these users, we are also introducing the Zenmuse X9 Extension Cable. With this addition, the Zenmuse X9 gimbal camera can be used separately from the body of Ronin 4D, helping cinematographers navigate more complex and diverse scenes while reducing approximately 80% of the weight they need to carry around, allowing for a more versatile and flexible filming experience.
- DJI is officially a member of the L-Mount Alliance and has partnered with Leica to introduce the exclusive Zenmuse X9 L-Mount Unit, enabling Ronin 4D users to fit Leica, Panasonic, and Sigma L-Mount lenses onto their cameras.
Price and Availability
DJI RS 3 –
- Standalone retails for USD 549 and includes one Gimbal, BG21 Grip, USB-C Charging Cable, Lens-Fastening Support, Extended Grip/Tripod (Plastic), Quick-Release Plates, Multi-Camera Control Cable, and Screw Kit.
- Combo retails for USD 719 and additionally includes one Briefcase Handle, Focus Motor (2022), Focus Motor Rod Kit, Focus Gear Strip, a second Multi-Camera Control Cable, and one Carrying Case.
DJI RS 3 Pro –
- Standalone retails for USD 869 and includes one Gimbal, BG30 Grip, USB-C Charging Cable, Lens-Fastening Support (Extended), Extended Grip/Tripod (Metal), Quick-Release Plates, Briefcase Handle, Multi-Camera Control Cable, Screw Kit, and Carrying Case.
- Combo retails for USD 1,099 and additionally includes one Extended Quick Release Plate, Phone Holder, Focus Motor (2022), Focus Motor Rod Kit, Focus Gear Strip, Ronin Image Transmitter (previously known as the DJI RavenEye Image Transmission System), two Hook-and-Loop Straps, and additional cables.
DJI Transmission –
- Combo retails for USD 2,499 and includes one DJI Video Transmitter, DJI High-Bright Remote Monitor, Remote Monitor Hood, Installation Toolkit, Protector Case, two WB37 Intelligent Batteries, one WB37 Battery Charging Hub, as well as various cables and battery adapters.
- The independent Video Transmitter and High-Bright Remote Monitor will also be available for separate purchase and retail for USD 1,099 and USD 1,699, respectively.
All of these DJI PRO products can be purchased from authorized dealers and on DJI’s website along with all the detailed information you need to know before purchasing these products.