BlackBerry Limited has announced their comeback to the mobile communications industry after a company reorganization, highlighting strategic pillars focusing on Productivity, Mobility, Communication, Internet and Security. Their comeback though is not just all about the strategies and company matters. In an interesting turn of events, BlackBerry announced their new smartphone, the BlackBerry Z3.
During the event, Cameron Vernest, managing director of BlackBerry Philippines and Singapore, said that Z3 was initially launched in India last June 2014. Vernest excitedly announced that the device is finally available in the Philippines for only Php 10,990.
The new BlackBerry Z3 may not be too well endowed when it comes to hardware power, but it’s fast enough to handle personal and enterprise applications. The device can also run and install Android apps (via OTA), which basically boosts the device’s software ecosystem and usability.
Key features of the new BlackBerry include the highly useful and accessible Hub. This lets users all work and personal email, BBM, text messages, social media and phone notifications in one place. This is even dolled-up and boosted by its “peek” system, which makes phone navigation even too easy for babies. Z3 also features an efficient Keyboard that continuously and intelligently learsn what words you use and how often you use them. We have heard rave reviews regarding the new Keyboard. Some reviewers even consider the latter its 2nd crowning jewel.
Other features include:
- Time Shift & Story Maker – The BlackBerry Z3’s astonishing Time Shift camera feature lets you capture a group shot where everyone is smiling with their eyes wide open. You can also use Story Maker to bring a collection of photos and videos together, along with music and effects, to produce an HD movie that you can instantly share on YouTube.
- BlackBerry 10 Browser – The BlackBerry 10 browser sets the industry benchmark for HTML5 performance on smartphones, and is incredibly fast, with fluid and responsive scrolling and zooming. The browser includes many advanced features, supports multiple tabs, lets you browse sites privately, includes a reader mode, and integrates with the platform for easily sharing content. You can even save web pages for later viewing.
- Instant Previews & Reply Now – Be more timely and responsive with Instant Previews that bring BBM, SMS and email message to you no matter what you are doing on your BlackBerry Z3. You can even reply to your BBM or SMS messages in any app, or swipe to the BlackBerry Hub to respond. If you get a phone call that you can’t answer right way, you can instantly silence the call and send a Reply Now response through BBM, SMS or email to let the caller know you’re busy.
- Fast, Easy Sharing – The BlackBerry Z3 learns how you share and who you share with, helping you reduce the number of steps and amount of time it takes to get your files, photos, or documents to where they need to go. Touching “share” in any app provides suggestions on who and how to share your files based on who you’ve shared with in the past, and the feature only gets smarter the more you use it.
- FM Radio – The new BlackBerry Z3 includes a built-in FM radio. You can listen to local FM stations, which does not require any network connection.
Meanwhile, if you’re after full hardware specifications, check out the list below.
Specifications of BlackBerry Z3:
- Dual-core 1.2 Ghz Krait 200
- Qualcomm MSM8230 Snapdragon 400
- 1.5 GB RAM
- 8 GB Internal Memory
- 5.0 inches touch screen display (-220 ppi pixel density)
- 5 MP primary camera, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
- 1.1 MP front camera, 720p
- Non-removable battery (Li-Ion 2500 mAh )
- BlackBerry 10.2.1 Operating System
What do you think guys? Do you think that BlackBerry still has got what it takes to compete with the big guns in mobile computing and smartphone race? I would love to know your thoughts on this? Plus, would you like us to review it soon! The review section below is waiting for you.
(Credits to Ronnel Diaz Cruz, for attending the launch event on my behalf.)