Google has officially announced a lineup of new products on its recent event. Aside from the rumored Pixel phones, the search engine giant has also come up with a slew of additional offerings: A VR headset, a Wi-Fi Router, A New Version of Chromecast, and Google Home, which has a few nifty features such as voice recognition, the capability to do Google searches, and remotely control your TV and speakers.
Pixel and Pixel XL
Google has finally lifted the curtain on its much anticipated smartphone offerings. Named Pixel and Pixel XL, these new phones offers top of the line specs coupled with the latest version of Android, Nougat.
|Dimensions||5.6 x 2.7 x 0.2 ~ 0.3 inches||6.0 x 2.9 x 0.2 ~ 0.34 inches|
|Processor||Qualcomm Snapdragon 821||Qualcomm Snapdragon 821|
|Display||5.0 inches Full HD||5.5 inches Quad HD|
|Protection||Gorilla Glass 4||Gorilla Glass 4|
|RAM||4GB LPDDR4||4GB LPDDR4|
|Camera (Main)||12.3MP IMX378 PDAF + LDAF f/2.0 Aperture||12.3MP IMX378 PDAF + LDAF f/2.0 Aperture|
|Camera (Front)||8MP IMX179 f/2.4 Aperture Fixed Focus||8MP IMX179 f/2.4 Aperture Fixed Focus|
|Connector||USB Type-C||USB Type-C|
|Operating System||Android Nougat||Android Nougat|
Other notable features:
- The Pixel phones are the first to have Google Assistant pre-installed. (Counterpart of SIRI)
- DxOMark scored the Pixel’s camera at 89, the highest for a smartphone.
- The 12.3MP rear camera has a few nifty features such as shorter capture times, HDR+ for clear and vivid captures even in challenging conditions, Video stabilization, and Smartburst, which allows the user to capture a stream of photos when holding the camera shutter button. Google intelligence then selects the best photo from the stream.
- These phones will come with free unlimited storage for pictures and videos at original quality.
- You get up to 7 hours of usage for a 15 minute charge.
- If you’re coming from an iPhone, It comes with a tool to easily transfer contacts, photos, videos, music, text, calendar events, imessages. The Quick switch adapter is included in the box.
- There’s a brand new range of covers and other accessories for the Pixel phones.
- The phones will come in a variety of colors namely Quite Black, Very Silver, and a limited edition Really Blue.
The Pixel is priced starting from $649 (Around PhP31,000) and is already available for pre-order in the US, Australia, Canada, Germany, and in the UK.
The Daydream View is Google’s first take on a VR Headset. Weighing 30% lighter than other offerings on the Market, the device can track your movements using its built-in sensors. It also sports ease of use as one of its highlights. You simply need to open a latch, drop your phone in, and close the latch. The connection will be taken care of wirelessly.
The Daydream View fits nicely on top of eyeglasses and also comes with a controller which allows you to interact in VR (point, swing, aim, draw). It will be available in November for a price of $79 (Around PhP3,800) and will be available in Slate color at launch with Snow and Crimson to follow.
Google’s own version of a Wi-Fi Router works differently, in a way that a number of these can work together to deliver fast throughput to every corner of your home. It features Network Assist, which is a software which works in the background to help prevent Wi-Fi congestion. It also offers suggestions on where you can move your Wifi point to obtain the fastest speeds.
The Google Wifi app allows for easy monitoring of a network (ex: See which devices are connected) as well as pause signal to devices (ex: During bedtime)
The device will be available for pre-order this November for $129 (Around PhP6,200) per router, and $299 (Around PhP14,400) for a pack of 3. The items will begin shipping early December.
Chromecast Ultra is the most premium TV streaming device available today. It allows you to stream your content in 4k Ultra HD resolution and also supports HDR and Dolby Vision. It also comes with an Ethernet port and will be available this November for $69 (Around PhP3,300).
Google Home is somewhat a home assistant which allows you to enjoy your music, do Google searches, manage everyday tasks, and control your TV and speakers either by using voice commands, or using its capacitive touch panel.
The device supports many major music streaming services such as Spotify and Youtube Music as well as radio stations, podcasts, and more.
Google claims that it delivers a natural sound coupled with rich bass and clear highs. Moreover, the device’s base can be switched to make it more personalized. (Fabric base available in Mango, Marine, Violet, Metal base available in Carbon, Snow, Copper)
Google Home is now available for pre-order in the US Google Store, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target for $129 (Around PhP6,200) with free 6 months trial of Youtube Red. Shipment to retail stores will begin on November 4.