Last March 5, we posted our unboxing video and first impressions of the KingCom S!gma EVO. 89% of our readers thought that the product is amazing, while 11% said it was cool! It got overwhelmingly positive reactions, and we commend KingCom for being able to introduce a device – as we told in our previous article – full of surprises.
But you may probably ask – what are these surprises we are talking about? What are its unique selling positions? Is it worth buying? This, we will drill down specific things we love about the device. This isn’t your typical review, but we wish to present its strengths and flaws (constructively) and practically provide you our recommendation.
[alert variation=”alert-info” dismiss=”dismiss”]KingCom S!gma Evo: The device is currently being sold at PhP7,998 + free Heracles 10400mAh + Solo II earphones. Original price of Evo was PhP9,998, with a Solo II freebie. You can head out and check our unboxing and first impressions of S!gma Evo on this link. Purchase this awesome deal thru this link now.[/alert]
Here are 5 Things We Adore about the KingCom S!gma EVO:
- It’s Blazingly Fast. We wish to be very straightforward with this, and we’re reporting this with delight. We honestly did not expectKingCom to deliver such a powerful and highly capable smartphone. It registered a 25,459 score inAntutu making it faster thanXiaomi Mi 2 and AsusZenfone 5.
We would like to correct our previous post that the device only has 1.4Ghz. Upon checking its full specs, we confirmed that it has a 1.7Ghz octa-core processor, making it at par with the KingCom PiPhone Venus, but at a smaller and light frame.
Update: KingCom just told us again that S!gma Evo only has 1.5Ghz, not 1.7Ghz.
- We were able to play Assassin’s Creed Pirates with minor issues like stutters and frame rate issues. Meanwhile, we enjoyed playing Wayward Souls and Asphalt Overdrive without any issues at all! We wish to be able to post our gameplay videos using the device soon on Youtube page soon.
If you’re on the lookout for fast devices, you may include Evo on the list of your choices. You’ll never go wrong with this one.
- Fingerprint sensor is forward-looking. Evo is a testament and proof thatKingCom value innovation and foresight. Its sensor may not look similar to GalaxyS5’s or the iPhone 6’s, but it intelligently does the job in capturing fingerprints.
The sensor though isn’t as sensitive as the iPhone 5s’ or 6’s so it took us a while to have our fingerprint captured. But, as I said, it does the job pretty well and who are we to complain. Imagine, we’ve got a deviceatsub-PhP10,000 price point that can capture our fingerprint to have the device unlocked.
Apart from unlocking the device, you may also lock and unlock certain applications, which you wish to impose restrictions. If you’re a very private person, then you’ll definitely love this feature. The sensor, surprisingly, may also be used as an alternative means to navigate the user interface. This reminds us of the feature of O+ 360, where the back panel may be used to navigate the screen sans the fingerprint sensor feature.
- Great Screen Quality. You can take our words for this. S!gma Evo’s 5-inch IPS HD screen is bright and clear! Colors really stand out as you can see in some of our photos below, and texts are really readable and crisp! Blame everything to its screen with 320ppi!
Since this phone has a MediaTek SoC – similar to what you can find on PiPhone Venus – it also has ClearMotion, a technology that basically gets rid of motion jitter and makes sure that your HD and Full HD 60fps videos are given justice. It works well on the device, and videos look even better! I’ve got one issue with its screen though – it’s only HD.
- Evo is very light. As a matter of fact, it’s as light as a cup of coffee we usually get from our suki-vendo machine. We also tried to remove the smart cover, and boy we got even more surprised as the base device is almost as light as its cover. So yeah – if you’ve issues with heavy phones, Evo will take that burden away!
- Freebies are included! Evo’s retail box packs a lot of cool stuff: the included smart window case, screen protector and 2 pcs (yes, we’re not kidding) 2,200mAh battery make the purchase so “sulit”. In fact, if you buy it during the Lazada anniversary, you’ll get a Heracles 10,400mAh and Solo II earphones absolutely free! [Get this deal until March 26, 2015.]
Evo, however, does not possess the perfect specs and features. There are things that we hoped to be better than what we experienced.
- Evoboastsa13mp rear facing cameraanda5mp front facing one. We took it out for a test and took some photos, which you can see below for your reference. We’ll be posting more photos soon so stay tuned!Based on the photos below, its rear facing camera works okay on subjects thatarewell lit. There is noticeable noise on subjects in dark environment. There are also times when some photos look hazy, which bothers us a bit.
More sample photos:
We’ll be posting more photos soon.
- If you play games a lot, or use the internet quite often, you’ll notice that Evo can get really hot. There was also a time when we had to stop playing Assassin’s Creed Pirates and put the phone down for a few minutes. There was no noticeable degradation of gameplay speed though, but we just had to put it down to avoid the risk of overusing the phone. Moral of the story: Moderation is key.
- When fingerprint sensor is activated, and when you use it to lock and unlock your device, you’ve only got 3 chances to swipe and unlock your device. This means that if you try to unlock your device more than thrice and failed, you will have to key in your alternative password. This happened to us quite a few times at the beginning. Tip: swipe down your index finger slowly.
KingCom S!gma Evo is a great device to begin with, and we cannot wait to see more devices from KingCom in the future. They are now under our radar, and we’re still hoping to see a new device from them, which can fully and positively overturn the interest of people towards KingCom.
So that’s it guys! I hope we were able to give you a comprehensive yet practical review and report of the KingCom S!gma Evo! Let us know your thoughts about our review and this device in the comments section below. Would you like us to see more of this kind of review? Or should we stick with our usual style? Our task is to always deliver what’s best and practical for our readers. Your comments and feedback will be appreciated and acknowledged accordingly.
Giancarlo Viterbo is a Filipino Technology Journalist, blogger and Editor of gadgetpilipinas.net, He is also a Geek, Dad and a Husband. He knows a lot about washing the dishes, doing some errands and following instructions from his boss on his day job. Follow him on twitter: @gianviterbo and @gadgetpilipinas.