Shopee has conducted a survey that revealed four types of online shoppers in the Philippines as well as their motivations.
The survey included more than 3,000 Filipinos and found that value is the most important factor for online shoppers. 42% of respondents stated that they are driven by the best deals and prices. 71% of them are females ranging from 18 to 34 years of age.
“The mid-year shopping season is an exciting time for Shopee. As more Filipinos go online to fulfill their shopping needs, we are also seeing more diverse preferences and shopping habits emerge. This is why we consistently listen to our users’ feedback and improve our features, services, and products to serve their needs. Our 7.7 Mid-Year Sale is no different and comes packed with highlights such as the Payday Sale, ShopeePay Day, and other exciting promotions to deliver more value, variety, and fun to all shoppers.”
Martin Yu, Director at Shopee Philippines
The four key types of Filipino online shoppers are:
The Sulit Shopper – Decisive shoppers that hunt for the best deals
42% of respondents are Sulit Shoppers, prioritizing finding the best deals and prices before making an online purchase. These shoppers are patient and take time to research products, but act tquickly when they discover deals they like.
- Decisive buying: 66% browse a maximum of just five items before making a purchase
- Deals seeking: 62% don’t typically plan purchases in advance. They shop whenever they see big discounts on discounts on products they seek
- Regular shopping: Half of them buy something online at least twice a month
During the 7.7 Mid-Year Sale, Sulit Shoppers can enjoy non-stop deals and discounts. They can save money on shipping, get discounts, and claim cashback at the Vouchers Sale on July 6. They can also tap on the Vouchers button on the Shopee homepage for one-stop access to the best deals.
The Shop-and-Go Consumer – Shopper who enjoy the convenience of delivery to their doorstep
17% of shoppers that joined the survey use online shopping due to its ease and safety. More than half of shoppers of this type are 30 years old. They kno what they want to buy and do not necessearily spend extra time on the app. However, they will often make impulse purchases if they stumble upon good deals.
- Quick decision-making: 64% browse through a maximum of five listing before they find what they’re looking for
- Proactive shopping: Almost one in two do their own research on products by either searching online or chatting with sellers
- Frequent shopping: 45% shop online etwice a month on average
Shop-and-Go Consumers can use the Free Shipping on Shopee’s home page. In addition, they’ll also love the convenience of ShopeePay. On ShopeePay Day, on July 1, they can enjoy ShopeePay-exclusive rewards like free shipping, cashback, and PHP 1 deals.
The Budol Shopper – Window shoppers who can also be spontaneous buyers
The Budol Shopper make up 14% of respondents. This refers to window shoppers who value variety and choice of products. Compared to the Sulit Shopper, the Budol Shopper browses more items on average. Additionally, they are more likely to spontaneously check out a product that catches their eye.
- Impulsive buying: 63% will buy an item because they felt like doing so at the moment
- Frequent browsing: 27% will browse up to 15 items before each purchase
This 7.7, Budol Shoppers can window shop across Shopee’s themed days like Home Tech Sale on June 24, Home & Outdoors Sale on June 25, Kids & Babies Sale on June 26, and Apparel & Shoes Sale on June 27.
The Suki Buyer – Shoppers who have a good eye for brands
Lastly, the Suki Buyers make up 12% of respondents. They shop online because they can find their favorite brands easily. Suki Shoppers value having a large variety of brands to choose from and accessing perks and loyalty points from brands they follow.
- Regular shopping from brands: 62% of them purchase from their favorite brands as frequently as twice a month
- Brand familiarity: About 1 in 4 follow their favorite brands on social media to stay information of latest products launches
Suki Buyers will enjoy the RB Super Brand Day until June 23, vivo Super Brand Day from June 27-28, and Olay Super brand Day from June 28-30. The Super Brand Days will offer exclusive deals on Shopee Mall. Moreover, there are also exclusive perks from brands like 30% off vouchers at the Shopee Mall Sale this June 29.