MediaTek has officially announced its new 5G chipset lineup – Dimensity. The first of the new chips from the company is the Dimensity 1000 5G built on the 7nm process.
The company claims the new 5G chipset offers the most power-efficient 5G, while taking less space, versus the more classic SoC + 5G modem setup.
The Dimensity lineup supports 5G 2 carrier aggregation and is the first to support dual 5G SIMs. This allows up to 4.7Gbps download and 2.5Gbps upload over 5G frequencies below 6GHz. In addition, it also supports Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1.
Its 5-core ISP (Image Signal Processor) allows the Dimensity chipset to capture up to 80MP at up to 24 shots per second, and supports up to a 32MP + 16MP dual-camera setup. The new chipset enables 4K video at 60fps as well, along with support for Multi-frame video HDR.
The Dimensity 1000 reached over 480,000 on AnTuTu and 12,096 on GeekBench 4.2. In comparison, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+ scored about 490,000 and around 11,000, respectively. The chipset is aimed to compete against the high-end Qualcomm offerings like the Snapdragon 855 and 855+.
With its Wi-Fi 6 support, the Dimensity is claimed to perform 38% faster than on the Snapdragon 855 as well as 40% more efficient, power-wise.
The new chipset is capped at 2.6GHz compared to its Qualcomm counterpart, which is clocked at 2.84GHz. Clocking the new MediaTek chipset could have been done but will consume more power.
MediaTek mentioned that the Dimensity 5G chipset lineup can be expected to hit the US market in the half of 2020. The Asian market, China and other markets, is expected to see the new Dimensity chips earlier though.
Dimensity 1000 5G SoC specs:
- Clock speed: (4 x Cortex A77 @ 2.6 GHz) + (4 x Cortex A55 @ 2.0 GHz)
- 5G modem: 3GGP Rel. 4.7 Gbps down, 2.5 Gbps up via sub-6 GHz frequencies; NR TDD / NR FDD Bands; *SA / NSA
- 4G modem: TDD/FDD, 4×4 MIMO; 256 QAM; WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1X, EV-DO, GSM / EDGE
- Memory: 4-channel LPDD4x, up to 16GB
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6 (2×2 801.11 ax); Bluetooth 5.1; GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC, Dual *Band L1 + L5 GNSS
- Display: QHD+ @ 90 Hz; DisplayPort support
- Video: 4K @ 60fps; H.264/265/VP9/AV1; Multi-frame Video HDR
- Still imagery: 5-core ISP; up to 80 MP @ 24 shots per second; 32 MP + 16 MP dual camera
- APU: 3rd-gen 5-Core
- Misc: Supports Dual SIM: 5G+5G, 4G+5G, and 5G+ 4G