Launched in Tokyo in May of this year, the FUJIFILM GFX 100 finally made its debut in the Philippines today, through a fun and exciting launch event.
The new flagship model utilizes a large 102MP BSI CMOS image sensor, capable of producing images with rich tones, superior resolution, and unmatched color reproduction. It’s the first digital camera with an in-body image stabilization (IBIS) mechanism for a 55mm diagonal length large format sensor in the GFX series, and also boasts impressive auto focus speed.
GFX 100 is powered by the X-Processor 4, FUJIFILM’s latest processing engine that allows it to capture uncropped 4K video, with the ability to change aspect ratio. Photographers can also utilize its various Film Simulation modes that show FUJIFILM’s signature color and tone reproduction.
It’s also the first large format camera to feature 4K 30p video. It boasts weather and dust resistance and is freeze proof up to -19°C. Other improvements and additions include better Face/Eye Tracking, an interchangeable Electronic View Finder, and a new rear sub monitor that can display image quality settings.
Key Features of the FUJIFILM GFX 100:
- Uses a newly-developed 102 million pixels image sensor
- Fast and high-precision phase detection AF
- Powerful support for hand-held shooting with 5.5 stop five-axis in-body image stabilization (IBIS)
- 4K/30p video recording
- Compact, lightweight and highly robust body for excellent practical usability
- Able to display diverse shooting data for added comfort in camera operation
- Word’s top-class ultra-high definition EVF with more than 5.76 million dots for accurate focusing
- Supports 16-bit RAW and 16-bit TIFF to cater to the needs of professional photography
- Can accommodate two batteries and supports USB charging/powering for convenience
The event also welcomed the presence of Zac Arias (right), an editorial and commercial photographer based in Atlanta, GA who also gave a short talk about the advantages of using a medium format camera, and Jan Gonzales (left), a commercial and fine art portrait photographer based in Cebu, who also used the GFX 100 in a live demonstration.
“We achieved the ultimate image quality, with three-dimensional look and feel. In addition, GFX is a very practical camera in active shooting situations… We will never stop our commitment to innovation. The GFX is a good example of that.”
– Shigetaka Komori, Chairman and CEO, FUJIFILM
“Our mission is to develop a camera to pursue the essence of photography. If preserving our precious moments is the essence of photography, what equipment should capture such moments? We need a camera that can capture the deep, best image quality: GFX100 is that camera. There are so many features I can talk about, but all those were developed for three key things: Image quality, mobility and durability. These are the three features you absolutely need in a camera to preserve (images) for the future.”
– Toshihisa Iida, General Manager of Optical Device and Electronic Imaging Products Division, FUJIFILM
Pricing and Availability
The FUJIFILM GFX 100 is now available in the Philippines, and retails for PhP599,990 (Body Only).
Emman has been writing technical and feature articles since 2010. Prior to this, he became one of the instructors at Asia Pacific College in 2008, and eventually landed a job as Business Analyst and Technical Writer at Integrated Open Source Solutions for almost 3 years.