In the recent study made by VKontakte and WeAreSocial, Philippines has the lowest smartphone penetration in the South-East Asia in January 2014 with only 15%. It drastically increased this year at 25% as of June 9, 2015, which is a sign of great progress. Thanks to local and international manufacturers that bring in fresh and affordable smartphones to everyone. I believe that soon, as our internet becomes faster and more stable, the growth rate of smartphone users in the country will further increase.
“Almost all Filipinos now are mobile, with 25 percent of the population smartphone users. This makes the Philippines a prime market for e-commerce,” said Gantuangco during the recently held Cebu ICT-BPM Conference.Katlene O. Cacho
The most important contributor of this bump in penetration rate, however, is because of the telco industry’s rigid albeit tasking upgrade implementation to deliver improved and consumer-centric plans. Two telcos, so far, offer the good deals in the market, but one question remains: which is the more practical choice?
Here are 5 reasons why we think Sun’s Plan 450 is more bang-for-the-buck and practical than the Globe’s Plan PhP499:
- Sun Plan 450 is cheaper: Cheaper isn’t always the best. But in the perspective of a practical consumer, price is the first point of reference and Sun Plan 450 is clearly the winner in this round.
- It has a Free Android phone: It’s cheaper by PhP49, and you can even own either a Huawei Y600 or an O+ 360 Alpha! As far as I know, you can even choose not to avail of the free handset to give you the flexibility to change or opt out of your plan before 2 years.
- You also get 250 texts to ALL NETWORKS per month: Yup, you read that right. You can send 250 SMS to your friends who use other networks and ask them to party and get drunk with you like the kids below.
- You get 20 Hours of Data with Sun Plan 450: Sun’s plan doesn’t offer too many data packages that are sometimes confusing as subscribers are allocated with 20 hours of data per month. Don’t get us wrong though – having different options for the consumer is good but most of the time, the one that offers the simpler plan is better and yes, practical.
- Mobile App Access is limitless. Sun’s Plan 450 allows subscribers to use applications that require internet connection without subscribing to another layer of app package. Light and casual data consumption do not consume data allocation. The only app-related activities that will consume data allocations are:
- Streaming of videos/music (e.g. Vimeo, Youtube, Deezer, Spinnr, etc)
- Downloading/Uploading files (e.g. pictures, files, videos, movies, music, emails, etc)
- VOIP or Calls over the Internet (e.g. Viber, Skype, Facetime audio/video, iMessage Voice Messaging, etc)
- Mobile applications that do streaming/downloading/uploading (e.g. Youtube app, Vimeo, app, etc)
For more info about Sun Cellular 450, check this page.