If you’re scouting for an insanely high capacity hard drive, you don’t need to search further as Western Digital launched the WD Purple.
While most of us are accustomed of seeing WD hard drives with black, green and blue monickers, the new purple lineup is intended for surveillance applications.
[su_spoiler title=”See Western Digital Naming Convention we found at TheWeeklyGeek” style=”simple”]“Blue” is the everyday inexpensive model that keeps prices down on parts. It still comes with the WD 3 year manufacturer defect warranty, nothing fancy, just plain and inexpensive. Our example of a 1TB drive will have 32MB of cache RAM and will be SATA running at 3Gb/s (Gigabits per second) and spins at 7200 RPM.
The “Green” drives are specifically more “eco-friendly”, the 1TB drive will have 64MB of cache (double that of the “Blue” model) but run at the slower 5400 RPM (that is how it “saves energy”). It too will be SATA running at 3Gb/s and have a 3 year warranty.
The “Black” drives are made for speed and accessing data, generally they are designed for workstations or light servers. Sticking with our 1TB example, it will have 64MB of cache like the “Green” version but will spin at 7200 RPM like the “Blue” edition and its data transfer rate is 6Gb/s, yup, twice the others transfer speed. On top of all that it comes with a 5 year manufacturer defect warranty. Source: https://www.theweeklygeek.com/2010/10/21/western-digital-hard-drive-naming-convention/[/su_spoiler]
Features of this desktop hard drive includes the following:
- AllFrame™ – When combined with ATA streaming support, AllFrame™ technology helps to reduce video footage loss with a proprietary cache policy management technology to help improve data flow and playback. WD Purple includes exclusive firmware upgrades that protect against video pixilation and interruptions within a surveillance system
- Advanced Format Technology™ (AFT) – the more efficient media format that enables increased areal densities, adopted by WD and other drive manufacturers to continue growing hard drive capacities
Distributed by Techtron Systems Corp. and Ubertech Inc. in the Philippines, the WD Purple lineup are now available in 1TB to 4TB capacities. Check out SRP below:
- 3.5-inch 1 TB drive, model #: (WD10PURX) is PhP 3,280.00
- 3.5-inch 2 TB drive, model #: (WD20PURX) is PhP 4,700.00
- 3.5-inch 3 TB drive, model #: (WD30PURX) is PhP 6,250.00
- 3.5-inch 4 TB drive, model #: (WD40PURX) is PhP 8,995.00
[su_spoiler title=”Western Digital WD Purple PR Philippines” style=”simple”]
Giancarlo Viterbo is a Filipino Technology Journalist, blogger and Editor of gadgetpilipinas.net, He is also a Geek, Dad and a Husband. He knows a lot about washing the dishes, doing some errands and following instructions from his boss on his day job. Follow him on twitter: @gianviterbo and @gadgetpilipinas.