Some rumors can kill, but not if we’re speaking of the next iPads. Yes, not ‘next iPad’ but ‘next iPads’ with an ‘S’.
Hours from now, the much anticipated “sequel” to last year’s iPad will be launched by Apple (simultaneously in England and in Los Angeles). The event is rumored to be the launch of the said “sequel” device but Apple has, sort of, laid down the clues and ignited our creative minds to deduce that they will indeed launch something later.
As a proud owner of a 32gb iPad for 9 months, I can attest that it did not just raise the bar of the demand for tablet computers rather than netbooks, but it did also shift the “consciousness” of consumer electronic industry from “a-tablet-is-boring-because-it-uses-stylus” to “wow-a-tablet….dibs!” Have you noticed that in the last 10 months, a lot of consumer electronics company has increased their development and production of 5″ to 10.1″ tablets significantly? In my opinion, the iPad caused this craze and others followed.
Seeing the next iPad unveiled is next big thing after the DFA’s news that our OFWs had already fled out of Libya. I expect a lot of great things on the new device because I’ve got several premises:
- When the iPhone 4 was launched, Apple debuted a retina display
- The A4 chip in iPhone 4 and iPad is already 1 year old.
- The graphics engine in iPad is PowerVR SGX 535 GPU is 2 years old and sounds to cute, not outstanding
- The iPad doesn’t Gyroscope
- The iPad doesn’t have a camera
With all these premises, it was logical for me to arrive to a consequential assumption that iPad 2 would have the following features that literally excites every nerve in my body:
- iPad 2 will have an HD display – like a Retina Display.
- A5 chip will debut in the next iPad – not 1 core, but a dual core 1.25Ghz to 1.5Ghz processor
- The graphics engine of the new iPad will be upgraded to a better one – something that can support more good-looking games that can eventually “force” the users of the iPad to sell their unit and get the new one.
- It’s about time that the iPad gets not just one but two cameras. This time, the iPad 2 will have 2 cameras and can support Facetime HD.
- It’s going to be 20-30% thinner than the previous iPad
With the rumors flouting around that sometime before 2011 ends, Apple will release the 3rd iPad with a much more sophisticated look and awesome features. I feel that the 3rd iPad – the shockingly better one – might get the following features on top of what the iPad 2 would have:
- It will get a Thunderbolt port. But this would even make sense if Apple would allow seamless file transfer from a PC/Mac with Thunderbolt to the iPad, vise versa. I believe that more Thunderbolt enabled PCs and Macs will sprout in the middle of 3rd and 4th quarter of this year. Say hello to more tablet and laptop computers and Mac Minis and iMacs with Thunderbolt.
- A redesigned look
- Though I still doubt this myself – it is likely that the iPad 3 might get a Retina Display with Parallax barrier screen similar to the Nintendo 3Ds. This means that it can produce 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.
- It will be not just 2 cameras, but 3 cameras. 1 camera infront and 2 cameras at the back. capable of taking 3D photos.
- Two variants may be released – iPad 3 (with 2 cameras) and iPad 3D (with 3 cameras)
By the end of 2011, the “trilogy” of the iPad would have ended with a high note. But I still believe that Apple won’t stop introducing more “crazy” yet outstanding products that would probably rock the world and would leave me excited to see more. These may still be rumors, but what smile would it give me if at least one rumor would turn out to be true! I
Giancarlo Viterbo is a Filipino Technology Journalist, blogger and Editor of gadgetpilipinas.net, He is also a Geek, Dad and a Husband. He knows a lot about washing the dishes, doing some errands and following instructions from his boss on his day job. Follow him on twitter: @gianviterbo and @gadgetpilipinas.