Latest posts by Giancarlo Viterbo (see all)
- Wondershare PDF Editor Review and Giveaway - March 4, 2014
- Western Digital Launches WD Purple 3.5 inch 4TB Hard Drive - February 28, 2014
- Cherry Mobile Rave 2.0 Unboxing, First Impressions and Giveaway - February 26, 2014
One of the guys from Cherry Mobile W500 Titan Users Facebook Group has successfully rooted the Cherry Mobile Titan. The rooting process, as detailed by Allen Sebastian, is heavily based on rooting the Spice Mi 500, which has a similar MediaTek processor - MT6577. Kudos to Allen for doing a terrific job! We wish that he could post a demo of his rooted Cherry Mobile for all of us to see it in action.
In his guide, he stressed that it’s always best to create a Nandroid backup after rooting the device. This acts as its insurance in case you mess up your phone while modding the software. Check out the full process below:
1. Get your phone rooted(rom toolbox needs this). FYI there are more benefits in rooting your phone apart from “inztallingz kuztom romzz”, ask google he’s our friend.ROOTING INSTRUCTIONS - http://bit.ly/PWHtmx
2. I recommend, no I DEMAND YOU install CWM to create a backup just in case you mess up! YES, if YOU MESS UP AND BRICK YOUR PHONE OR FALL INTO A CLIFF, I OR ANYONE ELSE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OUTCOME.CWM - http://bit.ly/TKriIg
3. Install Rom Toolbox, lite version will do as we just need to edit the build.prop. (actually if you’re knowledgeable to edit it yourself, you don’t need this app).Rom Toolbox - http://bitly.com/U8M7sQ
4. In rom toolbox select buildprop editor and add this line “ro.sf.lcd_density” and set the value to 200 or 180. (there’s a usb bug in 180, but just love it)
5. Reboot and enjoy!
Do not set it lower than 180 or higher than 240 else goodbye phone kana if wala kang backup.
As for Google Play, Allen suggested to download the modified APK from this link (with filename: 3.9.16.noupdate.norestrictions.dpi240.nosig-aligned.apk). Rename it to “Play.apk” via root explorer go to system/app then overwrite Play.apk.
Also, in changing your DPI, he advised, “180dpi is better than 200dpi however there is a bug when connecting your phone(file transfer) the system ui will crash and you won’t be able to connect. just change to 200dpi and transfer you files then go back to 180dpi when your done.”
Getting your phone rooted is one step to unleash the power of the Cherry Mobile Titan. However, you should bear in mind that in doing this, you will lose your phone’s warranty and the possibility of “bricking” your phone.